Saturday, August 30, 2008

My Diary - Still at the Beginning 2

My meetings went well. I don’t usually get a lot of resistance when HR consulting. I was able to get through the day without calling Justin. I received a couple of calls from him but let them go straight to voicemail. I hadn’t spoken to Faith and Hope in a couple of days, so I decided to drop past Hope’s office. I took the E train back to Queens and got off at 74th and Continental. I decided to stop at Queens Mall and do a little browsing, first. I love the feel of the city whether in Manhattan, Brooklyn or Queens. People are always busy, hurrying themselves to wherever their lives take them. I stopped inside of Victoria’s Secret and bought some new lingerie. I knew that I was subconsciously contemplating wearing them for Justin. As I was walking out of the mall to hail a cab to Hope’s OB-GYN office, my personal phone rang. The caller Id displayed that it was Friend. I figured that I may as well pick it up. He started right in on 'why I felt the need to see someone else'. He stated that he was willing to get a divorce, if it meant he wouldn’t lose me. I couldn’t stand the begging in his voice and told him so. I decide that we needed to talk face to face. I invited him back to my house for after dinner, conversation.

Seeing Hope was the boost that I needed. I waited in her waiting area and watched as her patients came and went. There were women pregnant with children and women with their significant others. I watched as the mothers interacted with their children. I was convinced that motherhood wasn’t for me. The constant whining and repetition of the mothers’ warning the children was too much for me. Finally, Hope’s receptionist said that she would be ready in a moment. I made reservations for lunch at a local Indian restaurant. Hope came out of her office told her receptionist that she would be back in an hour and handed her the last patient’s chart. She hugged me and we both got onto the elevator.

We laughed and chit-chatted about everything and nothing, in particular until we were seated in the restaurant. As soon as we sat down, Hope laid into me. She started telling me how she and Faith hadn’t seen or heard from me in over a week. She told me that if I didn’t start answering or returning their calls that they would camp outside my condo. I apologized and told her that I had been awfully busy with work lately. She laughed at the fact that I said work and stated that maybe if Justin wasn’t so good, I wouldn’t be ‘working’ so hard. Although, I’ve grown up with Hope and Faith, I’ve never believed it telling how good a man was in bed or how big he was. Shit! Women are just like men and if they think they are missing out on a good thing then they want to have it, too. I laughed at Hope’s comment and started telling her about Friend. She agreed that I either had to resolve the issue by discontinuing the relationship or finding a new way to hang out with him.

I agreed, but decided to still have an after dinner meeting with him at my house. We finished with lunch and then left. Hope waited for me at the curbside of her office building until I caught a cab. We hugged and kissed each other goodbye and I promised to keep in better touch with her and Faith. When the cab arrived at my condo, I suddenly realized how tired I was. I paid for my cab and got out. I spoke to the doorman and got on the elevator. When I opened my door, I saw that my place was covered in assorted vases with calla lilies of various colors. I was too tired to stop and read the cards. I spoke to my housekeeper and then went into my room. Lying across my bed was the most beautiful tennis necklace and ring that I ever saw. I pushed them to the side and lay down on my bed.

I don’t know how long I was asleep but when I woke up the message light on my home phone was lit and the message ring tone on my cell phone was going off. I pressed my house phone’s message button first. Only Friend had my home phone, so I figured it was him. Oh how, I figured wrong. The voice coming across my phone was anything but ‘friendly’ and was definitely not a man. The woman was very upset and was cussing at me. She stated that I was a home wrecker and that I would pay. She didn’t introduce herself, so I just saved the message. I laughed, because this was all part of being the other woman. However, because I was the other woman by choice, I tried to keep my man or men like the present, under wraps. I always made sure that feelings didn’t get involved on my end and if they did, I would break off the relationship. Of course, my parents wanted me to date a single man, get married and have children but that’s not what I wanted. So I did me as I was destined to do. I listened to my cell phone voice message. It was a guy that I dated three years ago and he was explaining that his wife had gotten hold of some old receipts and papers that he had locked up. I thought this shit to be too funny! I never wrote notes or gave cards. Now, this bitch had gotten my home number and was threatening me. I had half the mind to call the number back and go off! I called, Frank, my old friend. He sounded out of breathe when he answered the phone. He started apologizing, profusely. We talked about his situation and he said he would handle it. He told me that he had sent the flowers as his way of apologizing. Geez, I asked him couldn’t he had just let well enough alone. Now he had something that might be traced with my home address. He assured me that he paid cash and I need not worry about anything. I told him to handle his wife because if she stepped to me, I would fuck her up.

I hung up the phone and went to cut the shower on. I decided that I would make myself a sandwich for dinner and call Justin. When I dialed his number, he picked up on the first ring. I explained to him how tired I was and he understood. We agreed to talk later the next day. We however talked for another hour before hanging up. I went and got into the shower.

It was around 9pm, when friend arrived. Ralph had buzzed me and I gave the ok for him to come up. I had on my Burberry sweat suit. This was my way of letting him know that nothing other than conversation was going to jump off tonight. When he stepped off the elevator, my body went weak. He looked so handsome and regal in his Sean John suit. His gray eyes popped against his tie. He had on the tie I bought him, ‘just because’. I offered him a drink and then we went into the livingroom to talk. We talked until 1am. I told him how he was too serious about our relationship, about Justin, about the phone call from Frank’s wife. He talked about his wife, his children, his parents and work. It amazed me how easy it was to talk to him. In my quest to find something new, I forgot about our friendship. When I started to yawn, he took off his tie and shoes. He flipped out my mink throw and said that he just wanted to lie beside me. I believed him and accepted his offer. We lay down on my couch and I was quickly asleep, safe in his arms. My dreams however weren’t so safe. I dreamt of Justin, Friend, Frank and his wife. When I woke up, Friend was gone.

No comments: