Tuesday, September 16, 2008

My Diary - The Beginning

I called Faith; she was the more forgivable one, out of the three of us. When Faith answered I told her where I was and that I would be running late. I pledged with her to have Hope order and that I would be there. We hung up blowing kisses to each other.

Friend walked back into the bedroom with my clothes. The chamber maid must have come while I was on the phone talking to Faith. I thanked him, finished repacking my bag and got dress. I unwrapped my hair and pulled it back into a loose bun. When I had finished, I turned to find Friend watching me. I smiled at him as he started walking towards me. I knew from the look in his eyes that he wanted more. I bent to pick up my luggage before he reached me. When he kissed me, I kissed him back and then handed him my bags. I knew that it wouldn’t be right for us to ride down in the elevator together. I opened the door and stepped through it. Friend was close behind me. I don’t now what it was in him but he rode downstairs in the elevator with me. We hugged in the elevator until the bell rang to tell us the elevator was stopping. Then I moved as far away from him as possible. A couple stepped onto the elevator and nodded at us. I smiled back and Friend tilted his hat. When I looked at Friend, he had lipstick on his chin. I wiped my chin to motion to him, to wipe his. He tried to lick it and it made me giggle. The man turned around and looked at me. I winked at him; he smiled and turned back around. When the bell rung to announce the doors were going to open again, we were on the lobby floor. I stepped off the elevator and walked out the front door. Friend came running after me. He was screaming, “Miss, Miss” as if he didn’t know me. When I reached my car, I turned to him. He held up my bags and said that I had forgotten them on the elevator. My driver opened the trunk and took them from him. I reached my hand out to his. I thanked him for being such a gentleman. Our eyes smiled with so much more than neighborly kindness. When I let go of his hand, I got into the car and rode away.

I was glad that I had taken the time to see Friend. However, as I reached for my regular cell phone, I realized that the police still had it. “Damn!” I said out loud. My driver asked me if everything was alright. I assured him that it was and asked him to turn up the radio. Jennifer Hudson’s song “Spotlight” was playing. I laid my head back against the seat, closed my eyes and sang along to the music.

When I arrived at the restaurant, I was delighted. I hadn’t seen Faith in what seemed like forever. I didn’t even wait for my driver to open the door. I jumped out and almost ran into the restaurant. When I saw Hope and Faith, I rushed straight to their table. I hugged and kissed them both before sitting down.

Before going into what had been going on in my life, I wanted to hear all about theirs. I was excited when Hope announced that they were considering going into practice together. Even though Hope practiced gynecology and obstetrics and Faith practiced psychology, they thought that if they found a building and combined their practices, it would save them money. I was so happy for them. Of course, I agreed to help them find the perfect space. They announced that they wanted to move to Uniondale. That way they would be in between their homes. That was the perfect opening for me to tell them about Frank, his wife, Justin and Friend. When I was finished they were ready to order another round of Mao-tai. We talked, ate and laughed until the clock read 12:45am. I couldn’t believe that I had kept them out this late. I apologized and they laughed at me. Hope said that I had so much going on that I was starting to get formal on them. I laughed back. I signaled for the waitress that was hovering in the background.

When I opened my Christian Louboutin Pleated Leather Clutch hand purse, there was a long purple velvet box in it. I knew immediately where it had come from. I pulled it out of my purse and laid it on the table. Faith reached for it. Hope snatched it out of her hand and opened the box. My curiosity had peaked with them passing the box back and forth. When Hope opened the velvet box it was a 15 carat flawless diamond emerald cut ring flaunted by 4 rows of diamond Baguettes by Lorraine Schwartz .The documents that occupied it said “that the ring was valued at more than $5 million dollars”. We all just sat there looking at each other. I took the box and tried the ring on my right hand ring finger. It was a perfect fit. Hope read the handwritten card that was attached to the paperwork: “This is for a person that has captured my heart, soul and love. This ring is nothing more than a token of our friendship. The store will not accept it back. Please keep it, wear it and enjoy. Know that the love behind this ring will keep you safe.”

I was speechless. Faith spoke to me first. She said, “It’s not everyday that someone meets a person like Friend. Although, your relationship isn’t one that you can be free about, it has bought both of you, happiness. Don’t be crazy and not accept the ring. With everything going on in your life, right now you deserve it. I’m sure that Friend is aware of it and that’s why he bought it for you” Hearing that from Faith was the incentive I needed to keep the ring. Hope laughed and said that she would never take it off. I agreed. It was really big for my little hand but because he added the rows of baguettes it made me feel that the ring wasn’t one of engagement. I kept the ring on, paid for dinner and then we all got up to leave.

No comments: