Friday, September 26, 2008

My Diary - Still at the Beginning

The phone on the nightstand rang. When I heard it, I opened my eyes and glanced at the clock. It read exactly 12:30pm. “Great” was all I could think. The phone had stopped ringing before I had a chance to answer it. I figured it was the front desk giving me my wake up call, so I wasn’t worried. I heard Justin in the other room, on the phone. I got out of bed and went into the bathroom. My body seemed real heavy. It felt like I was being held down by a ton of bricks. I tried to shake it off, but couldn’t. I turned the shower on and stepped into it. The hot water just barely woke me up. I figured that I would make a doctor’s appointment when I got the chance. Either that or spend a day in bed. When I had finished my shower and moisturizing my body, I got dressed. I had wrapped my hair into a doobee and would pull it down when my driver was outside. I went into the sitting room with Justin. He was still on the phone and going over some papers he had spread out onto the table. I poured myself another mimosa and turned on my cell phones. I had 2 messages. I glanced over at Justin and he winked at me. I smiled back, blew him a kiss and then pressed my message button to retrieve my calls. The first call was from the attorney, Samantha. In all my haste, I had forgotten about her. The second message was from Frank. He wanted to make sure I was ok and if I had pulled the house listings for him. I felt really bad at that moment.



I should have called him last night and told him not to expect me. Oh well, I thought, as I texted him that I would call him once I got into the office. I then called Samantha’s office. I wanted to know the earliest that I could stop by. Her secretary told me that I could come by between 2 and 3pm. I agreed on 2pm and then called into my office. I informed Melody that I would be late. I told her my itinerary and wanted to make sure that it was possible for me to come in later. For some reason, I couldn’t remember if I had anyone scheduled to meet me. Melody put me on conference with Brianna and Brandi. They said they could hold everything down until I got there. When I hung up, I made myself a mental note to buy 3 passes to the all day spa as a treat for them. They had really been holding down the fort. My cell phone rang and the caller Id said it was my car phone. I answered it and my driver said he was downstairs. I started brushing my hair down, as soon as I hung up with him. I then went to get my bags. Justin was still on the phone, discussing some figures. I kissed him and he motioned that he would call me. I nodded my head and left.

As I rode the elevator downstairs, I knew I was going back to reality. Nothing could be more truer than when I stepped into the sunlight. The busy streets were a pleasant welcome to reality. Before I got into the car, I stopped to watch as people hurried about their ways, screamed at each other, screamed at the cars around them and just screamed in general. I knew that there would never be a place I would ever wish to live or work other than the NY. My driver looked down at me and smiled. His green eyes danced against his gray hair. My driver was a retired state trooper. My dad and him worked together in the same squad, they even retired together. I think that’s the main reason, I always felt so safe around him. If he didn’t have the gray hair, no one would ever know he was in his 60’s. He had the body and stamina of a 30 year old. He loved working for me. This had been the most that I have used him in over a year. I always kept him on-call and paid a retainer fee, in order to do so. I climbed into the car and he closed the door.

I asked him to pass me the car phone. I was anxious to call Frank and see how his day was going. His phone didn’t ring but went straight to voicemail. I left him a message that I would call him as soon as I left the lawyer’s office. I lay my head back and thought about how crazy my life had been over the last four months. I couldn’t quite figure out when my life had become so out of order. I knew that even before I consulted Friend, I was going to put my condo on the market. I loved it and the set-up; it’s just that with all the confusion, I was really ready to start over. I was going to list it as soon as I got back to the office. I would just have to be very selective about the viewings. Although, I hadn’t had any stalking incidents in a few weeks, I couldn’t be sure. My driver told me that he would have to circle the block a few times or I could jump out and run into the lawyer’s office. His speaking to me broke my train of thought. I figured that I may as well just get out and let him look for a place to park. I told him that I would get out and let him find a place to park. If it was easier for him, I would call him and then come outside when he came onto the block. He agreed.

No comments: